Serious Development on Chromebook Part 1 of 2

It has been several years that Google has attempted all cloud connected device/OS fiasco called ChromeBook and Chrome OS. Naturally, Doughnut is curious if we can do serious development on one such device.

First, definitions! When I say "development" it is not logging-in to either one of cloud9 (https://aws.amazon.com/cloud9/), codenvy (https://codenvy.com) or codeanywhere (https://codeanywhere.com) and write "hello world" to call it a day. My definition of "development" is full-fledge Java, python, JavaScript and bash development (p.s. these are the languages I am using 99.999% of the time these days).

Yes, I know C/C++ but I'm no longer using them except for occasional nostalgia. Again, novelty languages such as Kotlin and typescripts are not going to test as, for the former, if Java is running, it's running and, for the latter, I assume it is part of JavaScript.

Now, let's get started. First order of business is to get a Chromebook. The Chromebook I bought was Lenovo Flex 11 (SGD 377.xx) from Amazon.
Build quality is great (for the price). Touch-screen is subpar but at this price, what can I ask more for? Also, I think I am so spoiled by the great quality of the first generation Pixel. Let me continue, sound quality is impressive. I had to look around for tap to drag option for the touchpad. Keyboard is good -- especially the key travel is quite correct -- but, here, I'm also so spoiled by the Thinkpad keyboards and Microsoft full-sized keyboard that I don't think the keyboard is great (just good). 

Talking about keyboard, it is almost a deal-breaker. The lack of Function keys (there's a software option to convert the top row to Fn keys but you lose 'Esc') and 'Ins', 'Del', 'Home', 'End', 'Pg-up', 'Pg-down' is making me mad. I am not a 'Ctrl+C'/'Ctrl+V' guy -- I always do 'Ctrl+Ins'/'Shift-Ins'. Now, this keyboard is driving me mad. 

Let's get back to the point. When I got my Chromebook in my hand, first thing I do is OpenVPN client (my office is intensively using that). Second thing was to use Secure Shell Client from Chrome web-store

Viola! I get in to my office server. Vim is there. Node is there. Docker is there. Java is there. Anaconda is there. Great. Basic editor and running stuffs is checked. 

I need to look for a proper IDE (I'll look into Eclipse Che and Jupyter Notebook/Lab). 

Since I have some onboarding bonus on Alicloud, I started there (no need to say, I'm a first time user). Virtual Private Cloud (VPC), VSwitch and RAM turns up running in no time. Then, I spawned a Docker Swarm. 

The only glitch I got was CIDR of docker swarm needs to be different to that of VPC/VSwitch. One of the defaults for VPC/VSwitch was 172.16.0.0/12 and the default for docker swarm was 172.20.0.0/16. After some binary calculations, I realized 16 is 0001 0000 and 20 is 0001 0100. When cut off 4 bits (12 minus 8 is 4) from left, both these addresses are the same. I changed my docker swarm address to 192.168.0.0/16. 

Another glitch was with Google's SSH client. It does not work when your private key has extension. Mind you. 

Good to see you again. Visit my blog as I intend to write more often. 

Logged on Doughnut I/O. U.E. 1529060512

Comments