I Will Never Take My Pencil out of Home/Office

One of the publicly-aware traits of us, geeks, is absent-mindedness. There was even a movie titled, "Absent-minded Professor." (IMDB page of Absent-minded Professor)

I love pencils. I think every scientists love pencils. You know, a pencil does not need gravity (or in a strong gravity-field) to operate while a pen (a fountain pen or a ball-pen) needs. If we wrote something wrong, a pencil's output can be erased by an eraser while it is difficult to achieve the same feat for a pen. In short, I love pencil.

I lost two pencils in an amazingly similar way -- when the pencil available was not sharp enough, I took out mine and, after the writing-business, I forgot to put it back in my pocket.

The first one was during a wedding dinner of one of my friends. It was a Chinese semi-buffet resturant (a semi-buffet is when they serve the dishes you order and you can place unlimited orders at a fixed per-head price). Since the pencil they provided to tick the order-sheet was totally not writeable (why can't they sharpen the pencil, which is the important part of their business), I took out mine, ticked what I wanted, passed it to another friend, who sat beside me, who also give my pencil to the waitress thinking the resturant is running with Pentel mechanical pencils.

That pencil was a gift (along with an umbrella, I had lost) from my fellow scientist/blogger/big-sister. It is totally socially awkward to lost both of her gifts -- in the East, it can be interpreted as rudeness and not respecting one's friendship. :(

Today, I also lost another pencil. I was attending a conference, which offer free tutorials to students. I was trying to register some tutorials for my friend when they gave me a not-sharp pencil, to which my response was, "it's ok, I'd use my own." After filling out the form, I forgot to take my pencil back.

This is serious as I bought the pencil around U.E. 1020168005 +/- 10!. It is nearly a decade (more than 9 years) it has been with me -- high and low, serving me consistently.

I wasn't aware that I forgot my pencil until a facility staff pointed out that she saw my pencil and noticed it was kind of important (it is also rusty). The staffs told me an organizer of the conference collected all the pens and pencils there and kept it. Hopefully, when I go there for tutorials tomorrow, I would be able to find my trusty among the writing-tools she kept. (Since many of the organizers there are my fellow scientist-friends, I asked them for a pencil hunt with a precise description, "A blue Pentel mechanical pencil with a rusty steel clip."

Update on U.E. 1345352718. Around U.E. 1345079038, one of the event organizers return my pencil back to me. I thanks her a million time :D.

Logged on Doughnut I/O. U.E. 1345032303.

Comments