... but Some USBs Are More Equal than Others.

All USBs are equal but some USBs are more equal than others. This is not a political satire but a technical notes.

This morning, my laptop-desktop (my laptop that I am using as a desktop by connecting I/O peripherials and a monitor) refused to boot in its typical boot-time. Playing around for cause, I think I damaged the BCD (Boot Configuration Data) or the partition it resided in. Time to boot up using Windows Installer (DVD) and run system repair do the works.

Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to burn the Windows Installer. Even if I had, my laptop-desktop's DVD drive had stopped working for quite a while. Time for LiLi (not a girl, it is the Linux Live USB Creator). I created a bootable USB stick and booted with it.

It booted, but System Repair found no prior Windows installations. Amazed, I tried to completely install Windows. No, no driver found for my hard disk. Oh! No!

Yet, the hive mind (the internet) is so great. Someone has gone through the same path and he left his foot-print on the hive mind. I realized that some USBs are more equal than the others.

Now, I am installing Windows 7 Pro from sketch. A busy day, sigh.

Logged on Doughnut I/O. U.E. 1340263969.

Comments