Ainol Novo7 Aurora Review

Yesterday, I bought a Novo7 Aurora 7" tablet from Ainol. Below is the video I recorded while I unbox it (for the second time).


The packaging and built-quality of the tablet is impressive -- save for the charger, which can't fit in the tablet's box :D The screen is claimed to be IPS from LG, the same material used in the third iPad. The screen is pretty good, bright and responsive enough (except at the boundaries and when downloading something).

As I claimed in the video, the tablet dons mini USB port, micro SD card slot, 3.5mm headphone jack socket and HDMI port (no cable provided). Although it can't be charged using a micro USB charger like Samsung Galaxy S2, it supports 3G Dongle or, possibly, USB keyboard/mouse. There is a piece of software that claim to read data from thumb drive but I haven't tried it yet as my thumb drive was robbed :P It does not have a Bluetooth module or a GPS module. Sadly, I can't use HD Widget for some toggles.

In the video, I made a mistake. The volume rocker change direction as I rotate the tablet. Therefore, the button on top always increase volume while its counterpart always decrease volume.

It is running on 1.2GHz A10 (not Cortex) processor and has a 1GB RAM. However, it sometimes slows down from time to time especially when it downloads something. Therefore, I can't use it when I install apps from Google Play store. Its motion sensors are also sub-par.
Note: the cute thing about Google Play store is one can install the app to the tablet/phone using his computer. The apps are downloaded and installed in the background. No browsing through the store on tablet/phone is necessary.
Apart from occasional slow-down, it is quite a good value tablet. I can even play OSMOS HD on it. Since I just bought it for development stuffs, it serves its purpose.

I notice that with WiFi and full downloading, it takes four hours to reach 49% from full battery. Occasional use there after for 10 hours only drains 10% and I still have 39% battery. More on the battery and other things later on.

Logged on Doughnut I/O. U.E. 1339427877.

Comments